Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Oh Christmas Tree.

We finally put up the Christmas tree. We have been so busy with sports and work that we finally took a night off and set it up. The kids and I put the tree together and when Jared arrived home he put on the lights. I grew up on a 30 acre farm in Southern Canada. We would hike miles to find the perfect Christmas tree. My mother almost dropped dead when she found out we used a fake tree.I fought it for years, but finally gave in. We have been setting this one up for 4 years. We started a tradition each year by purchasing a new ornament for the kids. This started when our oldest Thomas was born. That is 16 ornaments just for him. I love picking the ornament for them and secretly I think they love it too.
Every year we spend more time talking about the ornaments and remembering each one. Seth is the master of school ornaments. I think every year since kindergarten he has made a homemade one for our tree. Think about that...9 different picture ornaments to squeeze on our tree. I love everyone of them!!!

Coming in a close second with the homemade ornaments is Kiley Smiley. She will make her school ones and also a few of her own. Every year we weed through the saran wrap ones and the tin foil balls and replace with a few new ones.


Don't forget Cannon. Oh Cannon. If he isn't breaking an ornament then he is hiding them somewhere. He is such a joy! I love how excited he gets this time of year.

4 comments:

Carina said...

Is that the tree you guys got from us? If it is, that things has seen MANY a Christmas's!!! My kids bought trees for there rooms this year so all their ornaments are going on their trees. I finally have my tree back!

Marc and Heather said...

I'm jealous... We still don't have a tree. Marc wants to get a FAKE ONE! lol... I just don't know...

Marc and Heather said...

Oh and by the way, have I ever told you that you just don't look old enough to have a 16 year old.. lol

The Clark said...

um, i remember many years when you didn't to a tree at all because you were going to either the mannings or the rennakers. do you still go somewhere every year?

i wish i had started doing ornaments when my girls were little.

ky's hair is very cute.

and i'm sitting here CHOWING on dried apples :P neiner neiner.